Allison has been using the potty pretty regularly now for almost 2 weeks! She's even wear big girl panties now for most of the day (except for naps and nighttime) and it seems like we're on our way to being diaper-free! It's funny how quickly things can change because right before Christmas I was so sure I'd be one of those moms whose kid gets turned away from kindergarten because she's still wearing diapers. Allison has always been pretty hard-headed so using the potty was just one more thing she needed to warm up to at her own pace. We still have those times when she just doesn't want to sit, and she'll still go in her pull-up because she forgets to get up there in time, but we're moving in the right direction. I bought that book "Potty Train Your Child in Less Than One Day" and it has some good tips (never word your suggestion that they try to go potty in such a way that they can say "no", for instance) but I think we're beyond being able to do it in one day. Maybe it will work for Thomas someday!
She's very excited for her upcoming birthday, too, and is already wearing her princess dress, shoes, tiara, and is waving her wand. Hopefully her little party this weekend will be tear-free. I'm hoping to get everyone in and out in 90 minutes so both my kids can nap afterwards. I have to say that the pressure to have a big to-do for birthdays is great and I'm really trying hard not to buy into it. The kids are just going to decorate birthday crowns (an idea I got from a friend) and then eat cupcakes. Maybe I'll squeeze in one more game, but otherwise that's it! They're only 3, for goodness' sake.
We weathered the storms that raged California this past weekend just fine. It was really, really wet, though. Many of the south-facing windows were leaking (old, single-pane windows, ugh) so I was madly trying to keep dry towels on hand to mop up the mess. The yard was pretty messy, too, as we live at the base of a hill so water pools in certain spots creating lakes. I cleaned up a bunch of leaves this morning to get ready for the next storm which is supposed to hit tomorrow. The street was also littered with trash on Friday so I was out there in my slicker cleaning up. It was crazy! Allison was with me but she got tired of getting wet, even with her raincoat and boots, and so we cut the puddle fun short. Despite the mess I actually enjoy the rain and am relieved we got so much. Now we won't have to water anything for a long time! We didn't lose power for longer than a couple of seconds so we were lucky. I'm sure if we lived in Marin where they were still in the dark as of last night then I'd feel differently!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yeah for Allison using the potty! I had those fears about Maren...what if she's still in a pull-up for kindergarten???? She wasn't of course. And Allison will do just fine too.
I am totally with you on the party thing. For three year olds you don't need much at all! I don't believe in going overboard with money for a kid's birthday. All they need is to have a great memory and great memories don't always need to cost beaucoup d'argent. (how about that for some French???!)
Oui, tu te souviens beaucoup de francais! (I'm not even sure if that's right. Oh well.) Au revoir, mon amie!
Post a Comment