Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The end of naps for Allison?

Post-no-nap with Daddy and Thomas

As I mentioned in previous posts, Allison is about to turn 3. For the past 3-4 months or so she's been phasing out her afternoon nap. Some days she still needs one and will therefore sleep, but most days now she just stays in her room and plays. I've kept the routine the same since she dropped down to one nap at 15-16 months or so: lunchtime, watching a little show, then reading books in bed before naptime at 1pm. Only now it seems that she only falls asleep when she really, really needs to. I guess we're lucky in that she does actually stay in her room, immersed in her own play world for an hour or 2, but I can see the end is near. I'm trying to balance both her need to rest and MY need to have her rest. I will continue the routine just so she won't protest on those days that she actually does need to sleep. I figure at least she's in there resting, even if it doesn't actually lead to sleep. This is what she said when I went to get her up today:



"I was silly. I didn't sleep, mama. I danced."



The loud bumps and bangs we could hear downstairs let us know that, thanks. Meanwhile, also, I think she woke up her brother. Oh well. Such is life with 2 of them, I guess!

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Allison sounds so darn cute. At least she admitted to dancing right? I love her shiny dark hair too.

Becky said...

Thanks, Bridget. It's so weird- they both have blue, blue eyes but she's the brunette and he's turning into a sort-of-redhead. It's weird how the genetics mix it up!