Well, today was day 2 of being on my own with the kids. Rachel is just over 3 weeks old now and she's still pretty sleepy all day...this makes it somewhat manageable. The only thing that makes the days tough is the lack of sleep at night. She goes for stretches- sometimes up to 3 hours- but then she starts grunting and snorting and we know it's only a matter of time before she cries. These become marathon feeding sessions for me. She does finally settle down and we do manage about 6 hours of sleep, even though it's interrupted. I know this will improve as she ages but for now it means I need to nap during the day.
Now, for napping. Since I haven't been on my own yet, this is my biggest challenge...all because of Allison. She's good about staying in her room most of the time...but when my mom was here, and then last week when Paul was off work, she got used to calling out for one of us to come on relieve her of her rest time. Yesterday I talked to her beforehand about a reward chart...if she stayed in her room, played or read quietly for at least an hour, then she'd get a sticker on her chart. Once a week of stickers was accumulated, she'd get a treat at the store. (As in, a toy/book/game or whatever.) Yesterday was great...she played and actually fell asleep, but today it was back to her wanting to get up. I don't feel comfortable letting her roam the house on her own just yet so we'll have to take it one day at a time. In the meantime, going to bed super-early will have to get me through the days.
Now, for napping. Since I haven't been on my own yet, this is my biggest challenge...all because of Allison. She's good about staying in her room most of the time...but when my mom was here, and then last week when Paul was off work, she got used to calling out for one of us to come on relieve her of her rest time. Yesterday I talked to her beforehand about a reward chart...if she stayed in her room, played or read quietly for at least an hour, then she'd get a sticker on her chart. Once a week of stickers was accumulated, she'd get a treat at the store. (As in, a toy/book/game or whatever.) Yesterday was great...she played and actually fell asleep, but today it was back to her wanting to get up. I don't feel comfortable letting her roam the house on her own just yet so we'll have to take it one day at a time. In the meantime, going to bed super-early will have to get me through the days.
Thomas is still a handful during the day. He wakes at 6 or earlier like clockwork, which also makes the morning tough. He plays hard all morning, often fusses when he's been wronged, and constantly asks for food. To be exact, cereal. We think he's going through a growth spurt because he'll tear through 4 bowls of cereal (he asks for "kispies...pease", meaning Rice Crispies, please) and still sometimes want more. He also asks for "nacks" all the time (snacks) so we think he's just an always-hungry, growing boy. He'll ask for cereal as soon as he wakes. It's hilarious!
I finally got to go for a run...the first one since last July! It felt good. I was slow but it doesn't matter. I just love being able to do it again. I hope to shed some of this baby weight sooner rather than later, before it sets in and becomes impossible to lose. I aim to either use the runs as my alone time or take the baby with me. Freedom!
3 comments:
Just look at that baby! She is adorable. Sounds like you're doing great on your own. Does your big girl like movies? I have no problem resorting to tv for my kids when I need some rest.
Yes, I use tv...the only problem is gets bored if she's alone. It means some days I have to veg on the couch beside her while she watches. Oh well.
Wow, Rachel is a cutie! I'm with Melissa. Some days while my kids are watching a show I'll lay down on the sofa and take a quick cat nap. I'm sure you'll be tired enough to sleep through the noise of the TV!
Post a Comment