Friday, April 17, 2009

Rachel is 1 month old

Another spring snowstorm today means we're inside, hanging out in the kitchen. Allison and Thomas like to stir things so we try to make easy recipes. Here they are yesterday before the snow, when it was only hailing outside. Too bad the weather doesn't know the difference between winter months and spring months. People around here have been working in their yards, planting fresh flowers and mowing their lawns. It's now freezing outside again so I wonder if all their work will be in vain.



Rachel turned 1 month old on Tuesday...can't believe it's already been a month. She's more alert now, resists sleep more (so fun), and she's getting bigger. I was guessing she'd be around 8lbs or so...she's actually closer to 10lbs now. That's a pound a week. At this rate she'll be a chunky baby like her big bro and sis were in no time! In order to start getting her to sleep better (an attempt, anyway), we're giving her her own space...in our closet. That's right, our closet. The good thing is the portacrib fits in there pretty well, as do the bouncy chairs we've been using to ease her into sleeping somewhere other than the family room amid the chaos. It's also somewhat soundproof. You can't hear her crying in the kids' rooms, nor can we hear it if we partially close the closet door and then our bedroom door. I actually need to use the monitor! I try not to let her cry too much but sometimes she gets so overtired there's little else I can do. We tried getting her to sleep last night but she cried for over 30 minutes so I gave up. After all, she's only 5 weeks tomorrow. Plenty of time to cry it out down the road....


2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, she is SO precious.
The no-sleep thing is the worst. Ryan was such a horrible sleeper. With my other 3 girls I realized that back sleeping was the problem and turned them on their tummies. Voila! They were great sleepers after that.

Bridget said...

She is darling. I love that you put her in the closet. I all about simplicity when they are that age. I had my babies all sleep in their car seats for the first 3 or 4 months of their lives. It was very convenient because I could put them anywhere to sleep.