Saturday, March 1, 2008

On our own

I hate it when Paul goes out of town. Since the days of the week are already the same to me around here, schedule-wise, having him gone on the weekend just makes the week never-ending. Don't get me wrong, I agree with other moms who say that even the worst day at home with the kids is 100 times better than even the best day at work, it's just that those hard days at home are SO HARD. Yesterday was one of them. I still fret over Thomas waking up Allison in the morning since she doesn't nap anymore and needs as much nighttime sleep as possible. Well, he did exactly that yesterday morning, at 5:45am no less. She was in a mood all day, which I later on realized could've been do to not feeling too well, and having a 3 year old in a mood is really NOT FUN. Thomas was also off all day, taking short naps and crying a lot. They both went to bed early and woke up just happy as can be this morning, so no permanent damage done. Those days make me so afraid, though. I feel like I'm just holding things together in an ever-so-fragile way most days so when one of them is off it makes it so hard to take. Having both of them grumpy is torture! I guess it just makes the good days even better. I don't want time to pass any faster than it is, but I have to admit that sometimes I long for when they're older and can sleep better all around. I know those days will be here before we know it and I'll look back and miss the baby stages, but on days like yesterday I can't help but want to fast-forward a little bit. I guess this is what the "trenches" are like and I just have to take it all in stride.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Oh, yes those hard days are hard. And when you're sleep deprived everything is ten times worse. That stage you are in is so, so hard. Give yourself lots of props. It is very draining. I feel like I was just barely there. Things get so much better in just a year or two for your kids. I wish I were there and could babysit your kids so you could have an afternoon off. Although I would return Thomas with red cheeks because I would have been squeezing them the whole time and Allison I would be stroking her shiny, soft brown hair.

Melissa said...

you are in the same stage my sister is in right now and she has the same complaints. I'll tell you what I tell her. . .it gets sooooo much better! They start to sleep, they start to communicate without crying and whining (well, maybe the whining still takes place sometimes), they start to occupy themselves and then you have these little people that are just so much fun! With my limited 9.5 years of experience, take heart in knowing that the 2 kids, 1 toddler, 1 baby, is the most physically draining of all stages (I'm told the tennage years are the most emotionally draining--we'll see). Hang in there--we can all relate!