Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Thomas' New Discovery

It's a doozy...he discovered that he doesn't like being wet or dirty, diaper-wise, so he takes it off during naptime. Three times I've discovered crime-scene-like gore in there. (Slight exaggeration, ok.) Thank goodness we have a good washing machine- gets all the mess cleaned up in no time. I can't say that I blame him...who wants to sit around in a diaper like that? It just seems early for him to be doing this. He tells me when he goes in his diaper- both #1 and #2- but, even if this is a sign of potty-training-readiness I don't think he's actually there yet. He does show interest in sitting on the potty- on Allison's cushy-tushy seat (which isn't really made for boys since it offers zero clearance for pee) but, no surprise, nothing happens. I thought I'd be off the hook in this arena for at least another 8-9 months but I guess it's a novelty for him. I'm going to buy some overalls for him and also some diaper pins to keep him from getting in there and taking it off. I'm also trying to teach him to call out to me when he messes his diaper. It's been a frustrating week, to say the least. Any advice from moms of boys who have done this...or moms of kids who did this so early...would be appreciated. Allison did it as well but she was much older and closer to actually being potty-trained. She was also in a big bed which made it easier to clean. Well, maybe not easier but it beats reaching into a crib! Tom is NOT ready for a bed yet- no way would he stay in there! I don't know what else to do except try to encourage him to go before naptime or tell me when he goes before taking matters into his own hands. Maybe he'll grow bored of it?

If it's not one thing, than it's another...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

sorry, no advice here. i am a lazy potty trainer. i put it off for so long that my girls end up training themselves (sometime around 3).

Bridget said...

Oh, I am so sorry. That is no fun. I don't even know what to tell you other than good luck!